DOWNS: A fire in an OMD on Bostwick Ave., Jersey City, took the life of one resident, Sept. 28th. It was later revealed that the victim, Carl Lee Johnson, 62, saved his one-year-old son from a burning two-alarm fire in a Grant Ave. building in 1983. According to a Jersey Journal article, he ran back into the six-story apartment building to rescue the boy when he discovered the boys were still inside. His 3-year-old nephew died in that fire.
UPS: Bayonne firefighters rescued a dog that was stuck in a basin at a water treatment facility, Oct. 3rd. The dog was checked out by a veterinarian and said to be okay, officials said.
DOWNS: A man that had been walking along the bank of the Passaic River, in Paterson on Oct. 7th, slipped and fell into the water. Members of Rescue Co. 2 rescued the man near the Lower Main Street Bridge, according to Deputy Chief Pablo Del Valle. He was taken to St. Joseph's UMC with non-life-threatening injuries.
UPS: The Monmouth County Fire Prevention & Protection Association recently named Marlboro Township Fire Official John Bordan the Fire Prevention Inspector of 2018.
DOWNS: One firefighter received minor injuries during a Baltusrol Rd. dwelling fire in Summit, Oct. 11th. No residents were harmed, officials said.
UPS: Atlantic City Electric donated 2,800 smoke alarms to South Jersey communities for Fire Prevention Week. The company has been donating the devices for 19-years through the southern New Jersey Fire Marshal's Offices.
DOWNS: The July 13th fire that took the lives of five Union City children was likely started when a power strip melted and threw out sparks in a first-floor “multi-purpose room,” according to a report issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The fire left two other people injured and sent eight firefighters to area hospitals.
UPS: Montvale opened up their new firehouse with a celebration on October 6th. Their new home was built on the site of the old West Grand Ave. building.
DOWNS: A fire at the Windsor Commons, in East Windsor, badly damaged several units and displaced residents, on Oct. 15th.
UPS: On October 17th, the Bergen County Fire Prevention Association named Jim Brierty Fire Official of the Year.
DOWNS: Two people were killed as the result of a dwelling fire on Willow Blvd. in the Browns Mills section of Pemberton Twp., Oct. 16th, officials said. The house was heavily involved when first responders arrived.
UPS: Joe Sterling has been a volunteer firefighter with the Leesburg FD and he is now the township's licensed drone pilot. The township has a drone team ready to respond to emergencies. The $9,400 instrument is complete with a thermal imaging camera.
DOWNS: East Rutherford firefighters battled a fire in a Manor Rd. foam company, Oct. 15th. The fire was put out within an hour, police Lt. Bill Hopkin said.
UPS: The Midland Park FD and Ambulance Corps received pet oxygen mask kits courtesy of Canine Co., a Connecticut-based pet service and products provider.
DOWNS: A driver was allegedly using his cell phone while driving and his van crashed into a Waldwick gas and service station on Crescent Ave., Oct. 15th, police said. The van crashed through a section of the wall that housed the shut-off switches for the gas pumps, officials said.
UPS: Teaneck Fire Chief Zaretsky presented a donation from the TFD to the Holy Name Medical Center Breast Cancer Center, in Oct. The donation was made possible by the sale of Breast Cancer Awareness challenge coins.
DOWNS: A fast-moving fire that started in a luncheonette on North Warren St., Dover, destroyed some six businesses and left over 100 people homeless, on Oct. 22nd. The fire may have been fed by a gas line, officials said. Flames spread to surrounding buildings with structures collapsing.
UPS: Once again, Fort Lee firefighters and members of the East Bergen Rappel Team assembled to rescue a person who tumbled down off of a ledge on the Palisades, Nov. 1st. The New York City man was injured but alert and conscious and trapped on a ledge about 30-feet above Henry Hudson Dr., officials said.
DOWNS: In October, North Arlington Mayor Joseph Bianchi, 77, died as a result of a 9/11 related illness, officials said. Bianchi, a longtime borough firefighter, had gone to the World Trade Center with members of the NAFD. In a statement, local officials indicated that the mayor had “contracted illness that has plagued many first responders who worked at the World Trade Center site after September 11th.”